Sunday, October 17, 2010

Magneato!

When did I become such a lazy blogger? I have no shortage of things to blog about, but I just never seem to get to doing it these days. Well, today I am doing it. Maybe it is a sign of things to come.

So, I like to go running. It is delicious. It's good for me. It's the perfect way to start the day. But I have this trouble with getting out of bed. In fact, more often than not I just stay in the bed. Yeah, I could run after work, but that involves two showers a day and dinner at 8:00. So morning is the time, but morning is for sleeping! But like I said, I like to go running and I know it's good for me, especially since I sit at a desk all the day long. But how ever am I to motivate myself?

The answer came to me last week: I must treat myself as a small child! When willpower won't work, one must turn to the time-honored system of a reward chart. But I wanted to make a cool chart, and I remembered Elise's magnet project. I am occasionally crafty so I decided to make cool magnets for my chart. I gathered the necessaries and pondered what pictures to use. For a while I thought I would make dumb magnets with different celebrity faces because the only magazines we have are Entertainment Weekly. Maybe if one of the issues had pictures of everyone from Battlestar in it that would work, but I would have had to settle for Miley Cyrus and the cast of Glee. No thanks.

But I had another moment of genius! We happen to have a stack of pamphlets, guides and brochures from London sitting on our floor, and they are bursting with tiny cool pictures. So I got out the duplicates and cut them up and 8 really cool magnets were born. Thanks, brain.

As I mentioned, my chart includes rewards also because nothing motivates me like getting stuff. I didn't want to make it fancy though or involve much money so my list of rewards are things like a pumpkin shake and getting to pick the movie on Friday night. So, week one of my chart plan has passed. Did it work?
Okay, so Mr. Graham still has to drag me out of bed (usually by the ankles), but now I am kind of willing and don't try to dissuade him with sleeping-in snuggles. Hurrah! Yes, I did make a Love Never Dies magnet--it was the perfect size!

On a totally unrelated note: yesterday we went to Walmart where they had this photo spot set up for How to Train Your Dragon. You could even get a free 5x7 print of your picture. Doesn't Mr. Graham make such a great Hiccup? Maybe next year we'll be Hiccup and Astrid for Halloween.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I think a reward system works well for all ages! It does get more difficult to run as the weather gets colder. Races are a good motivation, I think. If I know I have a 5k coming up, I just better run.

    I love those magnets. I will have to get somewhat crafty myself and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the magnets! Such a great idea, and the brochures are the perfect place to get little, perfectly small pictures. I think they are always fun to look at. I also thought the picture of the random celebrity magnets would be funny. That would be a good conversation starter.

    Also, I like your title. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so crafty! I love the magnet idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta do something when it gets cold out and you don't wanna head out there for the run, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am ever so proud of your methods of self-motivation, since my willpower in the mornings is often barely enough to get myself out of bed, let alone us both. I also love the magnets. They are brill!

    ReplyDelete