Monday, March 02, 2015

Room for the Poppy

I agonized a bit over what the Poppy's room should look like.  My first theme was books, inspired by this Jessie Wilcox Smith painting, but it just wasn't coming together.

Around this time my Granny passed away and while I was reading her memoirs I was reminded that she loved Beatrix Potter's books and I thought "AHA!"  Not only is it a good theme, it's a nice reference to Granny as well.  Along with the theme, I had a motto of "feminine, not girly" and that worked perfectly with Beatrix Potter.

The room was originally the same brown as the rest of the house, with a white chair rail.  I eventually settled on a rosey pink for the bottom part of the wall and a light grey for the top.  Naturally Drewbles did all the grunt work.  Let's look at some pictures of the whole setup (complete with a model for scale):


We moved the white dresser from Boo Boo's room and got new bins for it.  The rocker/recliner was a KSL deal and I couldn't be happier with it.  This bedroom is smaller so I think it makes more sense to use the smaller chair in it. 
 
And yes, that is a name sign hanging over the dresser and yes, I did photoshop the name out of it.  Ha!  But I will tell you that the letters match the Beatrix Potter font, but I had to create them myself in Photoshop because you can't find that font (it's owned by the publisher, I believe?).  I will also tell you that's a three-photo IKEA frame that I cut the dividers out of to make it one long rectangle. I'm very DIY about my name signs?

Moving on.  The night light was one we've had sitting around for years, and Drewbles got me the set of books for Valentine's Day.  He also contributed an original Peter Rabbit art, and the three on the wall are postcards I got off eBay.  




Bonus fact: the frames are from our wedding reception (I added the ribbons).  We STILL have four or five more...

We hung up this painting my sister did for me a few years ago.  She based it off a picture I took in Windermere, near Beatrix Potter's Hill Top House. 


(You can also see a corner of the rug we got to cover a bad patch of carpet but you'll have to look at the website to see the whole thing.)

Sometimes my model gets impatient for some camera attention.  Please ignore his runny nose and admire his tongue rolling skills.


Bonus fact: I can't roll my tongue.

Okay, let's look at the other wall: 


We were all saved from having to make the toddler bed transition by Drew's sister loaning us one of her portable cribs.  *long sigh of relief*  We got a new mattress and sheets for it, and it looks great!  The white crib will look lovely too, but I'm glad there's no pressure to move Boo Boo out of it (thanks again, Emily!).

No, I did not make a mobile this time.  I just...didn't.  But I did buy this one and every time Boo Boo walks in the room he says "OOOOooooOOOO!!!" so that's a good sign.

(Approved by Boo Boo and cars alike)
Let's take a closer look at that blanket draped over the back:


This was actually my baby blanket, once upon a time!  Over Thanksgiving my mom removed the original ties and backing fabric (both were very orange) and we found a peachy flannel and this pale green yarn.  My sister and I tied it and my mom did the rest of the work (she also added interfacing to the original fabric, just to make it sturdier).  I think it is perfect!

Bonus fact: I always thought my mom made this blanket for me.  But over Thanksgiving she told me my Granny did!  I think that means I made the right choice of theme.  Also that she had a lot of foresight...
  
And as the finishing touch:


Yes, Peter Rabbit is a boy.  I don't care!  And that is the room.  It turned out just right, and I am pleased that we were rather thrifty and creative about the whole thing too.  *pats back*

These next few things have nothing to do with the room.  I'm just tooting my craft horn.  I made these super simple headbands:


I made this blanket:


Then I made this blanket, using Beatrix Potter fabric I found on eBay.  I can't wait for the Poppy to spit up allllllll over it...


*toot toot*

No comments:

Post a Comment