Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Conquered: That's What I Am

Here's another blog post I don't really know how to start. Hmm.

I went to Disneyland last week. I got engaged. Now I'll tell you how it happened.

The day was Thursday, our first day at Disneyland. I had pretty strong suspicions that there was going to be a proposal while we were there. Nay, I should say strong certainties, though I wasn't sure what the ring status was. I gave D-Rew a little teasing during the day, asking him if he had everything and if he had any souvenirs for me. When we were on Soarin' in the mid-afternoon I went so far as to pat the side pocket of his shorts and lo and behold, there was a small box in there. Then I felt really bad for spoiling things a bit, since I don't ever *really* want to have surprises spoiled (even surprises I'm expecting). As it turned out, he wasn't sure I had felt the box so that was something.

Anyhoo, a little while later, back in Disneyland it was about dinner time and my family was discussing where we were going to eat. The plan was set and we were going to head over there but D-Rew suggested we take a walk first. So walk we did. We walked all the way over to Snow White's Wishing Well by the castle, seen here:

Okay, so you can't see the actual wishing well but we were standing by the railing anyway. There was a goodly number of people standing about just then and so we discussed the color of the water while they wandered away. Finally there were just a few people standing around and Mr. Graham said he did, in fact, have a souvenir for me. And then he pulled out a ring. A ring with a star and Mickey head with rhinestones. Nice, right? Classy. I gave it a few ooo's while I tried to figure out which finger I should put it on. Was it substitute for a real one? Was he just a dense boy? However could I tell for sure? I settled on the middle finger of my right hand for no particular reason. Nice.

But then he said he had something else for me. And then there was kneeling and hand holding and a box with a little sparkly thing for me inside. Words were said, words were said in reply and oh, just look at the reenactment pictures (they are highly accurate, besides our different clothes).


And then we were happy and took pictures of ourselves before getting some handy dandy tourists to take some for us. Here, look at both:

So...yes. That is how it happened, and it was lovely. And soon we shall be wed and that will also be lovely. I went to Disneyland almost exactly a year ago and it is funny how different things were on this trip. Life changes really fast sometimes, but luckily in this case it changed for the better. Is "better" the right word? That doesn't seem to quite cover it, but you know what I'm saying. And as another bonus, now my Mother need no longer despair at my life long lack of interest in marriage.

PS: We've been engaged since March 21st. Did you know I've had a life goal to be secretly engaged? (I didn't know how I was going to do that when I didn't want to get married, but you know. Whatever.)

PS #2: If you want to read this story from a different perspective, you can check out Drew's account here.

9 comments:

  1. Yay! A new sister-in-law! I am so happy for you guys. This is such an exciting time. We love Drew, and since we love him so much, and he loves you, that means we love you too, even though we haven't met you. But I will very soon, a few days in fact. I can't wait. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall now add you to my family blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. secret engagements are the very best. hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you! I was hoping D-Rew would ask you in Disneyland. It's the most magical place on Earth. Well done, Drew! And well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! A new sis. Very fun. I love that you were secretly engaged. Kind of like what's her name in Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I hope all goes well for the two of you. He's a lucky guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! So happy. Thanks for sharing your story. :) Very cute and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fun engagment story:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I commented on Facebook (or maybe not... don't think I was functioning social-networking-wise during May), but these are very cute, and I'm glad you were able to get a reenactment. Except I hope you didn't ask tourists to capture it.

    ReplyDelete