Monday, December 02, 2013

Cheaper by the Dozen (Book Review)

Author: Frank B. Gilbreth Jr., Ernestine Gilbreth Carey
Year: 1948
Genre: Memoirs
Reading Level: Adult


Plot Summary: The Gilbreth family is not a typical family and not just in terms of size.  Their family life is boisterous and humorous, but also disciplined and loving.  This book recounts their adventures with tonsil removal, learning Morse code, family drives and yes, cootie garages.  


Red Flags: Some very mild swears.

My Rating: A-
I don't read a lot of memoirs.  In fact, I think the last one I read was the first one I read, called She Got Up Off the Couch, and there is some kind of poetry in the fact that I read both for book clubs. Apparently that's what it takes to get me to read memoirs?

ANYway, this was a very pleasant and interesting read.  Pleasant because it was quite funny and nicely written with a good flow.  Interesting because it takes place in the early 1900s and society was just SO different then!  I mean, of course it was, but even so I was frequently amazed.  I had to look up terms that have been lost over the decades.  It definitely would not be called politically correct by today's standards, and that is always refreshing, ha.  

Overall, I don't really have anything negative to say about this book.  It's not the kind of thing I'd like to read all the time, but it was a good change of pace.  I wish there had been a bit more of an overarching kind of story progression but whatever.  Small taters, precious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment