Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Oldsoul (Book Review)

Author: Dan Haring
Year: 2012
Genre: Supernatural/suspense
Reading Level: Young Adult



Plot Summary: Growing up, Jason Gouvas never knew he was an Oldsoul--a person that holds the souls of the dead.  Not only do they share his body, he can share in their knowledge and experience.  He's going to need all the help he can get when he finds himself in the middle of war between Oldsouls and the immortal Athanatos. 

Red Flags: Some blood and violence


My Rating: B
I had trouble getting into this book.  The idea is creative, the writing is fine and the action is exciting.  But I just didn't really connect with it.  I think the world building was a little wobbly, and the main character never seemed terribly concerned about the upheaval around him.  I'm not opposed to a mellow protagonist, but if the main character is cracking jokes it's hard to feel the tension.  The love interest was a little flat and overall it was a bit predictable--not unpleasantly so but predictable nonetheless.  Also it could do with some finer editing, as I found a number of typos.  I promise I don't look for those things!  But I do have eyes and all, ha. 

Overall, this had some original ideas and exciting action, but it didn't really grab me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment