Monday, March 10, 2014

Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey

Author: Bob McCabe
Year: 2011
Genre: Film
Reading Level: Adult


Summary: A detailed look at the making of all eight Harry Potter movies, from casting to production design to filming.  Includes hundreds of color photos and production designs, and interviews with the cast, designers, producers and writers. 

Red Flags: None.

My Rating: A
I admit that when I got this for Christmas a few years ago I was excited but also daunted by the size (it's over 500 pages and quite heavy).  Maybe that's why it took me so long to read it?  But really the size is a bit deceptive because there are so many images and the actual text is perfectly manageable. And aside from that, it's very interesting so the pages really just fly by.  

As often happens when I read or watch behind-the-scenes stuff, I was just AMAZED at the amount of work that went into these movies.  So many people, so much money (though cutting costs was always a goal) and so much WORK.  At the same time, it's very clear that the people involved loved doing all this work and had great experiences.  Even making the book was, I imagine, quite a lot of work because it covers so much ground.  Naturally it doesn't include EVERYTHING, but I learned quite a lot.  

These are all rather disjointed thoughts so here's the takeaway: 1) Don't be afraid of the size.  2) If you loved the movies, you'll enjoy this book.  3) I loved the movies and I enjoyed this book.  It's a great journey through all the years of hard work and love that went into those movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment