Thursday, May 03, 2012

Food for the Eating

It's been a few months since the last recipe post so it must be time for another!  I'm happy to say that beans are not involved in any of them.   

Eggs in Tomato Sauce
I had never heard of such a thing as this before but now I wish I had.  I could have been eating this for years! One thing I will add is that the recipe says to use "tomato puree", which I did and which was not full of chunky tomatoes (like the pictures) or even flavor.  Mine didn't come out of a box so maybe that's my problem.  The second time I used the puree (I had leftovers since I could only find it in a 28 oz. can) but added a can of diced tomatoes.  Much better. Plus it's more saucy and if there's one thing I like, it's sauciness. 

Shakshuka  
After the deliciousness of the eggs in tomato sauce I had to try this too.  All during dinner we kept talking about how good it was and after dinner we were talking about when we could have it again.  The recipe says to use pitas for dipping but we just piled it onto a pita and ate it with a fork.  So good.  Seriously.  So good.  If you make one thing from this list, make this.

Portobello Fajitas with Fontina Queso
Mushrooms are one of the foods nearest and dearest to my food heart so of course this was perfect for me.  I skipped the cheese on this (me! skipping cheese!) because it seemed to take away from the simplicity of it, not to mention the healthiness.  Still tasty just with salsa. 

Grilled Caprese Sandwich
Basil.  Cheese.  Tomato.  Sold. 

Thai Coconut Soup 
We made this instead of going out for Valentine's and it was definitely the right decision.  It was almost a little *too* heavy on the coconut milk, but it was a nice change of flavor from the Tom Yum we usually make.  Also, mushrooms.  

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa
Poor Drewbles has often ordered fish tacos only to be disappointed by them (as am I because they involve barfy corn tortillas).  Since we had some cod, I decided to try to satisfy his fish taco dream.  I don't usually like fish tacos because the fish is fried and I really only like fried fish with fish and chips--otherwise you can't taste the fish.  So if you like the taste of fish with your fish, maybe these are the fish tacos for you.  Either way, the salsa was a winner. 

Grilled Bruschetta Chicken 
Tomatoes.  Basil.  Cheese.  Sold. 
Okay, partially sold.  I prefer eating chicken shredded or cut up, and the chicken we happened to get was quite thick and big.  I think I'd like this better with smaller/thinner chickens.

Corn Salsa
I made this before dinner one night.  We had to put it away so we wouldn't eat it all right then.  Nuff said.

Brownie Peanut Butter Cups
You want to eat these.  Don't even wonder--you want to eat these.  It's even easier if you use a brownie mix, but just be sure to let them cool before you take them out of the pan!  Not that we learned from experience or anything... 

Chocolate Pudding Pie 
I had a goal this year to make a dessert pie.  It was my first time making a traditional crust from scratch and I think I made it through unscathed.  I love pudding and I love chocolate pudding so win win.  

Maybe next time I'll blog about, you know, actual life or something. 

3 comments:

  1. They all look great! I'm not convinced about the tomatoes and egg, but I'm willing to try. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely try it! I was skeptical too but it's really tasty! Make sure you get some extra good bread for it to make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me so happy. So many good things to try! You are such a great resource for me. Corn salsa with fajitas tonight, and shakauksuiusika, next week. Can't wait! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete