Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Burritos to Change Your Life

I used to not like burritos.  I didn't like beans and every burrito I had seemed to be bursting with refried beans.  No amount of cheese could undo the beany beanness of those beans.  Fast forward to college when I discovered black beans.  They were good!  My opinion of burritos went way up, so long as they had black beans.

Fast forward again to last summer, when a friend brought us dinner after Boo Boo was born.  She brought us burritos.  But not just any burritos--LIFE CHANGING BURRITOS.  I talked about those burritos for months, and since I got the recipe from her last November, I have made them, well, a lot.  They are SO GOOD.  I cannot emphasize that enough.  SO GOOD.  I would eat these every day.  

How do you make these magical burritos?  First you take a look at the source material (I highly recommend that website in general).  Second, you take a look at this adaptation of the original recipe into burrito form:

1 (15 oz) can black beans, lightly rinsed
1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
1/2 small red onion, chopped (green onions work well too)
1 clove garlic, minced (or just garlic powder)
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/4 c. shredded cheese
1 T. taco seasoning
taco size tortillas
salsa

Heat oven to 350. Combine everything in a bowl, besides the tortillas (duh).  Add enough salsa to get the consistency you want (I think I usually do about 2/3 cup).  Roll those puppies up and bake them for 20 minutes.  A batch generally gets me 10 burritos w

So go make some and then rejoice in your burrito-improved life.  

4 comments:

  1. Oh these do look good! I agree about beans. They're just so mushy and . . . . beany. This makes me want to channel Mr. Elton and make a joke. Beans are so beany. But black beans . . . . !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Beany bean beans are just so beany. But black beans mmhmm!

      Delete
  2. When we moved here to Tucson I found out real burritos don't have to have beans at all. The best burrito places in town fill their burritos with so much meat there isn't a need for beans. The beans are an extra you can ask for. That was a revolutionary idea to me. I also prefer black beans. I am going to have to try these. They look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to theorize that the cost of beans vs. the cost of meat is responsible for all these beany burritos in the world! Sounds like Tucson has the right idea.

      Delete