Friday, April 11, 2014

Un, Deux, Tri

So.  In February I signed up for an indoor sprint triathlon and since then I've been doing a lot of this:


The tri consists of a 750 yard swim (15 laps/30 lengths), a 12 mile bike ride and a 5K run.  I wasn't worried about the run or the bike, but the swimming, well, that was the daunting part.  Nevertheless, I steeled my nerves and ordered my suit, goggles and cap (from here).  That first swim was...not good.  For some reason I had expected my childhood swim team skills to still be intact (I have two very small TROPHIES!!!!)

But over the intervening weeks I have slowly built up my swimming abilities again, and I'm no longer afraid of the worst case scenario--drowning--being inevitable.  I may not do it quickly, but I will do it!  *fistpump*

It has been pretty fun doing all this training.  I like having a big, long-term goal to work on and, to be honest, the success of this goal is a nice distraction from less successful projects.  Plus the thought of doing it scared me and, well, it's good for me to do things that scare me, mainly because I'm irrationally scared of an irrational number of things.

Anyway.  Tri day dawns tomorrow.  And after that I can wake up in the morning without my first thought being "POOL."

No comments:

Post a Comment